Have you seen the price of EpiPens lately? They are between $600-$700 for a two-pack. If you have high deductible insurance or high co-pays, you will be paying a large part of this cost. Here are some strategies you can use to find cheaper auto-injectors.
Generics cost between $150-$450, and often have a lower co-pay. The generic epinephrine auto-injectors contain the same medication in a slightly different device. They are available in both 0.15 mg and 0.30 mg dosages, just like EpiPens. Pharmacies often do not tell customers about the generic option because they do not consider it equivalent based on differences in the device, but the generic auto-injector has a tried and true delivery system used by brands such as Adrenaclick and TwinJect. Generic auto-injectors are also smaller and lighter weight than EpiPen brand auto-injectors. http://www.epinephrineautoinject.com/index.php
Here’s how to get generic epinephrine auto-injectors:
1. Check with your insurance to make sure that “epinephrine injection, USP” is covered and find out what your cost will be. You may save a significant amount! Also find out how many you can buy at once and how often you can refill your prescription.
2. Call around to pharmacies in your area and find out if they carry the generic epinephrine auto-injectors. If a pharmacy doesn’t carry them, they may be able to order some for you. Compare prices between pharmacies. Try using http://www.goodrx.com/epinephrine
3. Get a prescription from your doctor that is specifically for generic epinephrine auto-injectors. Make sure you are not getting a prescription for EpiPen! Many doctors are not aware that generic epinephrine auto-injectors are available since these are not aggressively marketed like EpiPens.
4. Use $0 co-pay coupons. https://sservices.trialcard.com/Coupon/Epinephrine
5. Make sure you are getting a device that does not expire in less than 12 months. Before you leave the pharmacy counter, check the expiration dates on your devices. Epinephrine auto-injectors should last about a year (unless you use them.) You should not have to buy new ones before that.
6. If this is your first time using the generic auto-injectors, order a free training device and watch the training video on the website. https://order.qpharmacorp.com/epineprhinepen/
I hope this helps! Please share more tips in the comments.